Monday, April 04, 2011

Baby Z #2 - first trimester thoughts

We had an inkling that I was pregnant in Dec, and mid-Dec I took a test and confirmed that I was pregnant. So we got through the holidays not telling anyone, and I only took a sip of wine here and there so that no one would think I was acting odd and call us out on it. Xmas week, I got sick with a cough, sore throat and a runny nose, and it was hard not being able to take any medication. So the cough stayed with me for what seemed like 3 months (ohoh, whooping cough thoughts definitely entered my mind). I felt pretty horrible, and don't really know if it was just from being sick, or if it was pregnancy related at all.

This second pregnancy so far treated me worse than the first (again, I don't know if it was just because I was sick and it lingered so long). But I didn't feel like eating anything at all, all day long. I felt bloated, had cramping, and actually felt nauseous the majority of the time (but no sickness, thank goodness!). I knew I had to eat something, so i felt like I was forcing myself to eat every day. The only thing I felt (after the cold went away) was drastically thirsty all the time.

Given that I felt differently this time around, I started to think that maybe it was going to be a boy - "This boy is already making me feel miserable, and it's not even born yet." But in the back of my mind, I think I was hoping that it would be another girl. I liked the idea that there would be no surprises. We already have a girl, and know what the first year is going to be like. I know, everyone says that personalities are drastically different and you won't experience the same thing - but at least I won't have to buy an entirely new wardrobe for the baby, and I won't need to buy the peepee teepees if it's a girl! I think that's what I'm scared of the most - changing boy diapers, getting peed on, and cleaning IT. But just to be on the safe side, I started buying Emi all gender neutral colored clothes/shoes, and even looked at blue and brown PJs with footballs on them for her (but didn't buy the PJs because I realized I getting extreme).

Scott went with me to the first trimester screening, and everything looked right on track. The only item that we had to watch was the location of the placenta, which was low and covered a bit of my cervix. In cases like this, you normally have to have a C-section, and I would have to have an amnio to make sure the lungs develop fully. My doc said that 99% of the time it corrects itself, so she wasn't worried and said I shouldn't either. This was also the cause of the cramping that I was feeling (whew, at least nothing really serious was causing it). We'll just check again during he 2nd trimester screening.

For some reason, I'm not as excited to be pregnant this time around. One day, as we were talking about a possible work trip in July, I forgot that I was pregnant. Scott had to remind me that I would be 8 months pregnant in July, and probably couldn't go. I guess it's because the experience isn't new anymore, that the giddiness isn't here. I am not researching baby things on the Internet 24/7, and not telling everyone on the face of the planet that I am pregnant. AND, I felt like I started showing in the second month and started wearing my maternity jeans (it might be holiday weight... but hey, at least there is no guilt about pulling out the pregger clothes and feeling obligated to go on a diet!). I did have a little apprehension but the possibility of a miscarriage. I don't know why, but the thought was always in the back of my mind (don't pick heavy things up, don't exercise, just in case...). Maybe that's why I didn't really want to tell anyone that I was pregnant, at least not until we get past the first trimester.

So, Baby Z #2, coming in late August. My guess date is August 26th (hmmm, Emi was July 26th and she didn't come till August), so I am thinking it's going to be a Sept baby. We'll see!

1 comment:

volodymyrkarad said...

If you want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city, our company can help you do just that. Their luxurious massage and spa treatments are designed to pamper your senses and rejuvenate your body. From soothing facials to invigorating body wraps, these spa treatments are nothing short of a blissful journey.