Friday, February 20, 2009

Throw that Chinese astrology chart out the window!




Today, Scott and I went down to La Jolla for our full anatomy ultrasound.


We started the day with a nice lunch in La Jolla, then headed to the hospital for the appt at 1pm.
Everyone is so nice in the perinatal dept - makes me want to switch careers so that I can go work with these super friendly, cheery people. I think one of them was having a birthday today, because they were all in and out of the room, eating cake and laughing hysterically.

At the beginning of the appt, she was going over what she would look at today, and getting situated. After asking us if we wanted to know the sex of the baby, it did a somersault apparently (Scott saw it, I didn't) and she said, "Oh, I think I know what you are having, but I'll wait until we got to that part of the exam". Suspense, and my, she has some sharp eyes. I just see a blurry TV screen.

So we went over the head, brain, heart, lungs, umbilical cord, kidneys, arm and leg bones, etc.
Everything looks good as far as they can see, and Baby Z weighs 8 oz. (about half a pound).
Just for fun, they took some 4D ultrasound pictures - that was pretty neat.

Then she said - and here we can see that you are having a girl!
The room was silent for about 10 seconds, then we said "Oh, a girl!".
I was so sure we were having a boy. The Chinese Astrology chart said that we were having a boy, and even if I was wrong about the month that we got pregnant, the next month said it was still going to be a boy. Plus, I just had this gut feeling. The Chinese Astrology chart claims to be 95% right, so I guess we fall into that 5%. Oh-oh, maybe we shouldn't rest easy yet about our 1 in 7000 chances of having a baby with Downs Syndrome...

Anyway - it's slowly sinking in, and we are going to have to get used to calling Baby Z a "she" instead of a "he" as we have been for the past 1.5 months. But we are happy, and now the girls in the house (Colette, Chewie and Baby Z) are going to outnumber the boys in the house (Scott and Bear) - that's how it should be!

5 comments:

The Clark Family said...

I am so excited it's a girl! Congratulations and enjoy everything pink!

Anonymous said...

congratulation!

David Firepig said...

sometime the chinese astrology is not quite correct, anyway how do you feel having a baby girl instead of a baby boy?

CKY said...

Thanks for the congratulations, and I should have known that for it to be a true indication of the sex of the baby, we would need more input than just Mother's age and month of pregnancy. But of about 15 friends who have had children, only one said that their Chinese astrology chart was wrong. But we are happy with having a healthy baby girl (that's what is importnant, right?), and look forward to meeting her in July.

The Daily Stroll said...

Congratulations! Trust me, it's much more fun to shop for a girl! I thought I was bad shopping for Jonah but girl stuff is just so cute. I'm going a little crazy with all the cute things :)